Many homeowners today wonder how they can turn their bathrooms or kitchens into something worthy of making the rounds on Pinterest or Instagram. As more people want to give their home a personal and stylish touch, home decorating and interior design is hotter than ever, and the possibilities are seemingly limitless.
The only problem is that making up your mind can be overwhelming. If you’ve ever tried to pick what shade of blue or tint of gray to paint a wall, you know that sometimes there are too many choices.
With over 140 years of designing kitchen and bathroom products, Kohler Kitchen & Bath tapped into a large brain trust of designers and product experts to identify the six leading kitchen and bath design trends for 2017.
- All in the mix. We all know patterns play a big role in how large a room appears and what features are accented or emphasized. For all the importance people place on patterns, many are inherently afraid of blending — or mixing — patterns. Be bold! When done right, this can create a vibrant, energetic space that does more for your room than if you were to play it safe.
- Perfect pairs. Two of the most striking colors to appear in kitchens and bathrooms these days are velvety blues and vivid greens. Blues are timeless and can work well by themselves in most situations, but add a small dose of blood orange and you’ve created an infectious vibe to the room. Nothing makes as dramatic a statement as pairing two complementary colors.
- A softer white. A traditional color for bathrooms and kitchens, white gives off a clean, bright aura. Nonetheless, the look can be a bit clinical. Once way around this problem is to warm up the whites with tones of brass, gold or bronze. Subtle touches on the cabinets or backsplash can create a warm ambiance that softens the look of an all-white space.
- Keep it neutral. If you’re looking for fun, vibrant colors but aren’t ready to go all in, consider neutral shades such as icy blue, blush sand and other straight-from-nature shades. These are a lot more refreshing than the standard beige! Such transparent neutrals beautifully diffuse light and lend themselves to contrasting elements.
- Amber glow. The living room has expanded. Kitchens aren’t just for preparing food and bathrooms aren’t just for getting ready. People want a cozier, at-home feel for both these rooms. Top designers do this by adding a range of metallic fixtures coupled with smoky grays, a combination that creates a dramatic and welcoming room.
- Noir. With the debut of black stainless steel appliances, black has made its way back to being a staple color in kitchens and bathrooms. Of late, the emphatic pairing of black and white has become the real showstopper. The idea here is to work with high contrast: think strong color-blocking patterns and heavy stripes. Two timeless colors will join to create a perfectly modern mixture.
To discover more ideas for your home visit ideas.kohler.com. Here you’ll find invaluable advice and inspiring fixtures to transform your bathroom into the room of your dreams.